In order to be open for business and to help protect the well-being of our guests and guides, we have implemented new precautions. Opinions vary on the necessity of these precautions, but we ask that you work with us on this.
- Groups traveling separately will not be combined on trips unless they are in separate boats.
- Food will not be served. We’ll bring a cooler if you’d like to bring food or snacks on the river.
- Bring your own water and water bottles.
- Bring facemasks. You will need to wear them if we are shuttling in the same vehicle together, which in most cases, we will be. You won’t need to use them otherwise.
- We’ll have hand sanitizer and will use at the beginning of the trip, before eating lunch, and at the end of the trip before getting into shuttle vehicles.
- Pre-screen your group for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 before your trip. We will review this at the beginning of the trip along with a no contact temperature reading. If someone in your group is feeling ill or has a fever, we will not be able to run the trip.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Please review our COVID-19 page for more details on what we are doing to mitigate the spread of this virus.
Meeting Time and Place
Where: Tree of Heaven Campground
When: Full Day – 9:00 a.m.; 1/2 Day – 9:00 a.m. or Noon
Take-out Time: Full Day: Around 4 p.m.; 1/2 day around 1:30 p.m. or 4 p.m.
Traveling North on I-5, take the third Yreka exit, turn left under the freeway; at the stop sign, turn right onto Hwy 263. Go for about 8 miles. When you come to Hwy 96, turn left. Tree of Heaven is 4 miles down the road, the first campground on your left.
Traveling South, Hwy 96 is about 15 miles below the Oregon border at the Collier Rest Area. Tree of Heaven is about 5 miles west.
Driving time from Mt. Shasta, 1 hr, Redding, 2 1/4 hrs, Ashland, 30 minutes
There are airports in Medford OR and Redding CA, with rental cars available.
What To Bring
- Swimsuits or shorts
- Tennis shoes, river sandals or river booties
- Long sleeve shirt / windbreaker
- Fleece top
- Sun hat
- Sunglasses with straps
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Spare glasses or contact lenses
- Insect repellent
- Some extra cash if you want to tip your guides. They appreciate it!
What We Bring
- Coast Guard approved life jackets and helmets
- Wetsuits and paddle jackets when needed
- Dry bags for your personal gear
- First Aid
- River Rescue Equipment
- Drinking Water
- Food, snacks and meals
- Inflatable Kayaks, if requested
Your safety and comfort are our utmost concern. Our guides are mature, skilled professionals, certified in first aid and CPR. All trips are equipped with first aid kits and river rescue equipment. Safety procedures will be explained in detail prior to and during the trip. Because of the inherent risks involved with any outdoor activity, we are required to have you sign an acknowledgment of risk and release of liability before your trip.
Half-day trips include a light snack. A buffet lunch is served on day trips. On multi-day trips we provide all meals, from lunch the first day through lunch the last day. We serve fresh, wholesome food, organic when available. We make every effort to accommodate your needs and preferences; let us know if you are on a special diet or have food allergies. Fresh drinking water is available at all times.
Our self-bailing inflatable kayaks are one-person rafts, very stable, easy to paddle and immense fun. At safe water levels, we bring a few to share on our class II and III runs. You may have exclusive use of a kayak for $10/day.
If you would like to purchase some of your own river gear, go to NRS.
Accomodations and Restaurants
Located at the base of Mt Shasta and next to SWS Mountain Guides office, the Mt. Shasta Bunkhouse offers easy accommodations and all the facilities that the outdoor adventurer needs.
All inclusive campsites. Glamping in pristine mountain environments near Mount Shasta.
A friendly, affordable, clean hotel in Mount Shasta located near restaurants and shops. Mention River Dancers and get a 15% discount.
If you feel your guide did an outstanding job, a tip is a great way to show your appreciation.
River Dancers T-shirts and hats are nice mementos of your adventure. Ask your guides at the end of your trip.
We reserve the right to use any photographs taken by our staff during any trip for commercial or educational purposes.